Wednesday, November 9, 2011

1991 ZR1-1996 Eldorado (fairly) Compatible Bose Stereo Amp

Since I have become obsessed with the stereo amp issue I spent the afternoon removing speakers at the wrecking yard to see what might work as a replacement amp for the ZR1.  I heard that the Nissan Maxima had the same amp as the 1991 ZR1 but upon removing one from the yard it's not even close. (Possibly just a basic model car and did not have an upgraded Bose sound system).

I did however find an amp from a 1996 Eldorado that is compatible.  It takes a little modification because the circuit board is a bit larger, but it works great.  It's a plain old Bose amp, not the AC Delco Bose.  I think the Eldorado version sounds even better than the original.  So, if you want to use an Eldorado amp it will work (uses the same connection) but will take a bit of creativity making it fit.  The rear should be no problem but the front speakers have limited space. I know it sounds like a bit of a hack job but it's really not that bad, especially if it sounds better.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, corrections or input is welcome!